Google Maps is amazing. For a majority of people, particularly the ones with smartphones- it is their top choice when traveling to new places. After the recent launch of Android 8.0 Oreo, the latest firmware upgrade has hit a number of devices.
But, there is one Oreo feature that can possibly drive the users insane. This feature shows a small floating box for a particular app whenever the user leaves them. This feature is named picture-in-picture. While this feature is convenient when the user is using a video streaming app, and they can keep on watching the movie while doing other stuff such as responding to texts. The deal with picture-in-picture is that it is not very convenient for all the apps. Google Maps is disputably the least ideal one.
For some reason or another, users will not be able to locate a setting within the Google Maps application for disabling this feature. Also, as this Picture-in-picture feature is turned on by default, users will have to find out how to disable it if they are getting annoyed by it. However, do not fret. This feature is simply concealed in the dark nooks of the Settings app. Let’s see the method for disabling the mini map on home screen.
How to disable Google Maps popup mini map on the home screen?
From the Settings app
- Launch the Settings application.
- Now, select Apps and notifications from the list of options.
- Go to Advanced.
- Choose the Picture-in-picture option.
- Now, just select Maps on the screen.
- Toggle the Allow picture-in-picture off.
From the Google Maps app
- Either unlock the home screen or go to the app drawer.
- Now, tap and hold the Google Maps icon.
- Select the “I” option.
- Navigate to the Advanced section.
- Tap on Picture-in-picture.
- Now, simply tap on the switch next to Allow picture-in-picture to disable it.